Scrub Nurse / Scrub Practitioner
Who are we?
Newmedica are one of the leading providers of NHS ophthalmology services in England, providing outpatients appointments, diagnostic testing and eye surgery. We aim to change lives through better sight and eye health.
We care for more than 225,000 NHS and private patients a year in over 26 locations and we’re growing.
We are looking for a new Scrub Nurse / Practitioner to join our Plymouth site. We are happy to accept applications for either full time (40 hours worked over 4 days) or part time (2 or 3 days per week, 10 hours per day) including some weekends on a rota basis.
Scrub Practitioners are an integral part of our theatre teams and will undertake a variety of duties. You’ll be setting the theatre up ready to accommodate patients. We can typically see 20-23 patients a day in our high-volume cataract surgery provision, so you’ll thrive working in an efficient and fast paced environment.
You’ll provide a competent scrub provision, supporting the surgeon through the daily theatre list, anticipating any potential problems and resolving these. At the end of the day, you’ll help clean down the theatre and in all you do you’ll ensure the highest standards are met in terms of patient safety, clinical compliance and hygiene levels.
Aside from providing Scrub services in the theatre you'll also undertake medicine management and audit duties as well as maintaining accurate patient records. You'll manage clinical waste and ensure the correct disposal procedures are implemented.
The thought of eye surgery can be a daunting prospect for patients to deal with, so our Scrub Nurses need to be empathetic and friendly and able to put patients at ease and help them feel comfortable during their time in surgery.
What skills and experience do I need?
You need to be a fully qualified Registered Nurse or Operating Department Practitioner and need a current registration with the NMC or HCPC.
In an ideal world you will already have ophthalmic experience in a theatre setting. If not in most cases we can teach this, as long as you already have extensive theatre scrub experience.
Alongside the mandatory qualifications the following things will be advantageous:
- Previous hospital eye service or private eye clinic experience
- Knowledge of clinical practice and aware of current developments in Optometry
- Capable of working in a fast paced, high-volume theatre setting
- Experience of supporting the surgeon during theatre – problem solving and issue resolution
- The training and coaching of others
- The desire for and commitment to continuous professional development
- A competent user of computer systems and programmes
- An excellent grasp of the English language both verbally and in written format
- A good team player – happy to jump in and support others when required
What we’re offering
- A salary of up to £40,000 depending upon experience
- 25 days annual leave plus 1 day birthday leave plus bank holidays
- A company pension scheme
- Access to a range of benefits including free eye tests, discounted or free glasses, a free 24/7 well-being/counselling/advice service and a retail/technology discount scheme.
- An environment where your learning and development is supported through a range of various learning tools and courses.
- Working with a friendly multi-disciplinary team passionate about improving the lives of our patients
- A bright, specious and modern working environment, built to the highest standards
If you would like an informal chat about the opportunity or to request a job description, please contact PlymouthHR@newmedica.co.uk
Our employment offers are subject to receipt of satisfactory pre-employment checks. Applicants must have the right to work in the UK and a Disclosure and Barring Service check will be necessary in the event of a successful application which we will pay for.
At Newmedica, we actively promote diversity and equal opportunities, and we are committed to this in both the running of our services and how we recruit our staff. We actively encourage applications from everyone with the essential requirements of the job, regardless of any protected characteristics.
Newmedica is fully committed to safeguarding the welfare of all people, irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, language, religion, ethnic or social origin.
NB: Unfortunately we are unable to accept overseas applications at this time.