Senior Medical Writer
Senior Medical Writer
Chester, Knutsford, London
Closing date for applications - 16th August 2019
inScience Communications is a Global Medical Communications business unit within Springer Healthcare. Springer Healthcare, one of the world's leading global scientific and medical publishers, is a full service agency and leading publisher of medical educational products for the healthcare community, With offices based in London, Cheshire, Philadelphia, New York, Madrid and Tokyo, amongst other locations, this position offers an opportunity to contribute towards the growth of this unique global company.
We're looking for a talented Senior Medical Writer to lead and manage the delivery of the scientific content for a range of medical communications that meet client's needs, internal quality standards, and timelines. You'll enjoy a diverse and varied role that includes mentoring, applying your therapeutic knowledge to the strategic marketing of pharmaceuticals to account plans, and providing editorial advice to a variety of stakeholders and, publication plans and/or communication programmes. This role provides an opportunity to contribute to revenue targets through strong project management of a range of projects, making sure deliverables are met on time and on budget.
You'll have extensive writing experience in a medical communications agency with demonstrable client liaison and interaction skills, including client visits and on-site experience. Proven experience in coaching Junior Writers is vital. It's essential you have a Life Science degree or equivalent experience.
This is a fantastic role offering the successful candidate to be part of a collaborative, supportive and approachable team. A competitive salary and benefits package are on offer. The role can be based in our Knutsford, Chester or London offices.
- To provide strategic direction and manage tactical delivery of scientific content for a range of medical communications that meet client needs, internal quality standards and timelines:
- Act as senior editorial lead for one or more accounts and provide the main point of contact on matters of scientific content for the client and KOLs.
- Provide editorial quotes for costing purposes. Advise Senior and Scientific Services Directors about editorial resource requirements.
- To review scientific content for a range of medical communications according to client needs, internal quality standards and agreed specifications, budgets and timeframes:
- Provide full briefs to delegate editorial projects to Medical Writers and Associate Medical Writers to include scope, content, time to spend on project and deadlines.
- Monitor quality, style and accuracy and provide timely, consistent and constructive feedback when reviewing.
- Ensure that projects reflect a thorough understanding of clients' marketing objectives and that scientific messages are supported appropriately.
- Liaise with clients and Account Manager to agree specifications and check that client expectations are being met.
- Liaise with Senior and Scientific Services Directors on junior writers' training needs and provide coaching and mentoring as required.
- To apply knowledge of the therapeutic use and strategic marketing of pharmaceuticals to account plans, strategic publication plans, strategic communication programmes, proposals and pitches:
- Participate fully in briefing and brainstorming meetings.
- Provide scientific expertise to Business Development Manager in the development of new business pitches and proposals.
- Maintain broad awareness of developments in relevant therapeutic areas and discipline, editorial issues within publishing and the Springer Healthcare product portfolio.
- Provide scientific input to complement Account Management in developing new opportunities within accounts.
- Contribute to revenue targets by ensuring that projects are progressed as soon as possible after confirmation.
- Monitor own adherence to budget and utilisation rate.
- Record and monitor actual time spent on a project against budgeted time, and complete timesheets in an accurate and timely manner.
- In conjunction with Senior and Scientific Services Directors, help develop junior writers within an account team to achieve their full potential: Coach and mentor junior writers as required.
- Assist with delivering editorial training in relevant therapy area/discipline.
- Assist Senior and Scientific Services Directors in review of test projects and/or recruitment by interviewing candidates, if required.
- Support team working principles and collaboration within inScience Communications, the account team and other departments, by attending team and editorial meetings/tutorials.
- Any other duties as requested by manager.
- Travelling and attendance at client meetings, new business pitches, scientific congresses and Advisory Boards, on an ad hoc basis, as required.
- Life science degree
- Life science degree in pharmacy or medicine Higher degree
Previous Work Experience:
- Extensive writing experience in a medical communications agency
- Strong reviewing/coaching experience in a medical communications agency
Please apply with a CV and covering letter, stating salary expectations.
At Springer Nature we value and celebrate the diversity of our people. We recognise the many benefits of a diverse workforce and strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.
Competitive plus great employee benefits