We are seeking to appoint a School Nurse from October 2020 to provide care to both staff and pupils. The successful candidate will be expected to have an open and compassionate character and hold the appropriate nursing qualification.
The post holder will work across both the Junior and Senior Schools providing high standards to nursing assessment, care and treatment for both students and staff. Building positive working relationships with parents and other professionals. Providing health promotion. Working alone under the guidance of the Senior Nurse. Supporting the Nursing Assistant.
Location: Channing Junior and Senior Schools
Salary band: 6 (£31,365 - £37,890 depending on experience) pro-rata
Hours: 8am - 4pm 4 days per week, term-time only
Qualifications: Registered Nurse
Experience: minimum 5 years post-registration experience, preferably in A&E, paediatrics and/or school nursing. IT literate
Main Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide emergency care and treatment for sick and injured students or staff
- Serve as a health advocate for students.
- Notify parents of any accident or illness and secure medical care for students in emergency cases (if parents or emergency contact cannot be reached).
- Administer medications according to school policies.
- Perform health checks as per school policy and make referrals as necessary.
- Provide confidential pastoral care.
- Maintain and provide first aid kits for school trips
- Maintain and provide first aid boxes throughout the school
- Liaise with pastoral team/ staff/ parents when required
- Record and maintain individual care plans and emergency drug bags for students with chronic conditions
- Offering support to the Nursing Assistant
- Participate in PSHE programme
- Teaching first aid to pupils
- Teaching staff and being a resource on any relevant medical issues, eg. first aid, using epi-pens and inhalers, head injuries etc.
- Health promotion for staff and students
- Participation in Healthy Schools Week
- Maintain confidential health records
- Maintain accident forms/records
- Maintain adequate supplies of medicines and first aid equipment / materials
- Liaise with NHS organisations to facilitate school’s immunisation programme
- Assist Senior school nurse to write and update the school’s medical policies
- Provide support to Health & Safety Committee as required
- Maintain first aid and health promotion signage around the school
- Adhere to NMC Code of Professional Conduct, and be conversant with Scope of Professional Practice and other relevant NMC advisory papers
- Use evidence-based practice to develop to maintain a high quality of nursing care
- Ensure a code of confidentiality is developed and adhered to
- Maintain professional registration and CPD in accordance with NMC
- Keep up to date with current local and national health promotion initiatives
Please see our website for further information about the role, and details of how to apply. https://www.channing.co.uk/staff-vacancies/school-nurse/
Deadline for applications: 30 September 2020
Interviews will be held week beginning 5 October 2020