Executive Director of Quality & Nursing
Welsh Ambulance Services NHS Trust (WAST)
£103,020 - £107,141
The Welsh Ambulance Services NHS Trust (WAST) has undergone significant transformation over the last 4 years and is today celebrated as one of the most innovative of its kind internationally.
WAST employs approximately 3,500 people and provides services to c.3 million people across Wales; covering an area of c.8,000 square miles. With a budget of c.£174 million, a fleet of over 700 vehicles and over 100 buildings, the organisation’s services are focused on unscheduled care, planned non-emergency patient transport and telephone & online advice.
As it challenges itself to build on its performance, the Chief Executive is seeking a visible, vibrant and inspiring Executive Director of Quality & Nursing to move the Trust’s Quality, Safety, Patient Experience and Professional Nursing agenda forward into their next stage of transformation. This is a critical role as part of the Executive Team responsible for leading the wider organisation, as a clinically-led, reliable and safe service that is agile, offers value for money and delivers high quality, safe care that meets patient needs across Wales.
- Reporting to the Chief Executive and leading a team of 80 Directorate staff with 3 direct reports, you will provide strong, visible, compassionate and collaborative leadership and a clear future focus on sustainable delivery of patient-centred quality across all services.
- As the voice of the nursing profession in WAST, you will provide inspirational leadership to drive forward the nursing agenda, providing a vision and ambition for future nursing careers and workforce development, the use of technology in nursing and lead the digital nursing agenda.
- Responsible for leading quality improvement and placing the Trust at the forefront of ambulance services in the UK, you will play a central role in nurturing and developing a culture of teamwork, excellence and high-quality safe patient care
- You will play a key system leadership role; working with colleagues within WAST and multiple stakeholders across health, social care and other emergency services, to deliver future service development through innovation, ensuring improved productivity and quality.
- You will develop effective partnerships with all internal and external stakeholders including the Chief Ambulance Services Commissioner and maintain strong and effective relationships with trade union partners and collaborate across the UK national network with other NHS ambulance services to design and deliver national and local improvement initiatives.
- A senior nurse leader with experience of leading professional nursing, quality improvement, quality assurance, governance and clinical standards in a large, complex health care organisation, you will be familiar with the demands and nuances of leading successfully in an emergency or health service setting; and of working across a range of organisations to achieve significant change.
- You will have built a solid track record of driving quality and service improvement, quality of care patient safety and policy development at board level. You will be someone who naturally and passionately encourages a culture of continuous quality improvement and will give future focus to the things that will make the most difference for our patients, carers our people and the communities we serve.
- A visible, vibrant and inspiring leader with exceptional communication skills, you will have demonstrable experience of helping the workforce to thrive and succeed within environments that are characterised by openness, integrity and fairness. With capacity to think strategically and take a ‘whole systems’ approach, you will be an active contributor to the organisation’s strategic plans.
- Committed to the continuous development of staff and yourself, you will be relentless in your pursuit to improve the quality of patient care and will be an authentic ambassador of WAST in championing its clinically-led approach to service development and delivery.
For an informal discussion please contact Jason Killens, Chief Executive, Welsh Ambulance Services NHS Trust on 01633 626230
For a copy of the Candidate Brief and details of how to apply, please contact Charlotte Bosher, Recruitment Advisor via email – email@example.com
Deadline for Applications: 16 August 2019
All applications will be acknowledged.
£103,020 - £107,141