Embassy Nurse (Overseas)
Location: Various Locations: Middle East & Africa at British Embassy Compounds
Reports To: Senior Nurse/Project Manager
Key Result Areas: Client and Customer Satisfaction in the healthcare services part of the contract, and all aspects of Service deliver throughout the contract
Note: May be required to share accommodation with someone of a different sex. This will be on a back to back basis and will not be sharing at the same time. Rotational leave required to be flexible to the project requirements and may need changing with little notice in emergencies – flexibility required.
- Assist with the daily running of a small clinic within the client grounds/compounds.
- Provision of emergency and first aid assistance to locally employed workers
- Provision of Primary Health Care and Emergency Medical Response to expatriate personnel (client, customers, and contractors)
- Assist with the maintaining of a program of Psychological health screening to all client staff and as part of this process initiate face to face consultations with client staff two weeks after arrival in post, and every 3 months thereafter.
- Psychological and occupational health screening to all client staff
- Provide appropriate levels of emergency care, including preparation and assistance of emergency medical evacuations (aeromedical). There may be a requirement to undertake aeromedical evacuations. Which will include the carrying of heavy medical emergency equipment and patient who is being evacuated.
- A UK Full driving licence as is required in order to drive a B6 Armoured Ambulance for response to emergencies within the compound
- Liaise with other agencies and health care providers to provide full medical support in extreme and potentially hazardous conditions
- Implementing and maintaining medical records in accordance with UK guidelines for all client personnel and patients who visit the clinic
- Advice and pastoral care to client staff
- Assist with the daily running of the clinic ensuring that rooms are well maintained, and that all medical equipment and supplies are stored to UK standards and maintained to UK best practice (including disposal of sharps, and expired medications)
- Upkeep of a register of medical equipment and medication
- Taking and labelling DNA samples from visa applicants in the form of Buccal swabs
- Appropriate level of trauma care, including preparation and assistance of emergency medical evacuations
- Deploy on Province Trips
- To uphold medical confidentiality to the same standards as those in the NHS
- Prescribe medications under the use of PGD’s.
- Other tasks as designated by the Contract Manager and/or Project Manager in support of the contract
- Ensure that the good name of the Contracting Entity is upheld at all times
- Ensure compliance with Contracting Entity COBC and ethics policy including all FCPA and Bribery Act rules and regulations
- Travel to various locations covered within the contract (e.g. Middle East/Africa) to cover emergencies as requested by the Project Manager
- Not to conduct tasks outside of the contract scope without prior permission from the Project Manager
Skills and Experience Required:
- A registered nurse (Adult Nursing Level 1) registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (UK)
- Advanced Life Support Course (ALS) or Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS)
- A minimum of 5 years nursing experience including pre-hospital / remote / offshore environments, candidates with an appropriate knowledge and experience of A&E/ITU Nursing
- Holds valid or able to get UK SC clearance
- Fluent English Speaker
- Able to work alone if required in emergency situations
- Diploma or higher in Nursing
- Qualified to deliver First Aid courses.
- PGDip or higher in a subject relevant to working environment
- Appropriate Flight Nursing Qualification (RCN, FNO/ FNA)
- Minor Illness Qualification
- Minor Injury Qualification
- Previous experience of working in remote and hostile environments is an advantage
- Qualification in delivering First Aid Training
- UK Secret Clearance
- £3000-4000 per month
- 4 weeks fully paid leave every 8 weeks spent on-site - this position is eligible for tax free status
- All travel, visas, accommodation, meals, laundry, uniform, etc. provided
- Medical and Life Insurance provided