WE ARE LOOKING FOR TALENTED PEOPLE LIKE YOU!!
Knowing that you're making a difference to people's lives is rewarding in itself. But our many roles offer much more than that. As well as helping you grow and develop your talent, we want you to feel proud of where you work and what you do
Set in the leafy suburb of Edgbaston, close to Birmingham City centre, Priory Hospital Woodbourne is conveniently located for access to the West Midlands motorway network and with very good local public transport links.
The hospital provides a diverse range of inpatient services, including acute and psychiatric intensive care for adults aged 18-25 years, Child and Adolescent Mental Health, specialist Eating Disorder (including day care) and private acute and addictions treatment programmes. With 78 beds across 7 wards, our multi-disciplinary teams deliver personalised treatment programmes to our patients and have established an excellent reputation for providing the highest standards of care.
Aspen Ward is a 10 bedded Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit for males aged 18-25 years. We have 5 beds contracted to Forward Thinking Birmingham (FTB) and 5 beds which take referrals from all over the UK. Most of our referrals come directly from the community, either from Place of Safety, A&E or police custody. We also take referrals from other wards when service users may present as challenging.
The primary function of the PICU is to work with young adults whose risks may be greater than those on an acute ward, and therefore our team focus mainly on risk assessment and management.
We work closely alongside young adults, their families/carers and community teams to support recovery and we pride ourselves on always focussing on the "least restrictive principle". We are a team that focusses on reflecting and learning from our experiences and we actively encourage service user involvement and choice.
Aspen Ward aims to offer a positive experience for patients, despite the challenges of the PICU environment. Our values are around positive engagement and activity, person centred care and positively supporting young people through crisis.
We are looking for an experienced RMN/RNLD to take on the role as a highly motivated and committed Deputy Ward Manager on Aspen Ward. The successful candidate will take an active role in managing the unit under supervision of the Ward Manager and alongside the existing Deputy Ward Manager.
They will have proven leadership skills, along with a strong drive to develop themselves and the dedicated Multi-Disciplinary Team. The successful candidate will directly participate in patient care, managing the ward and offer a high standard of care to the service users that we work with.
Applicants must have at least 2 years' experience at Staff Nurse level. Experience in PICU is ideal but not essential.
The role will require you to assist the Ward Manager with:
• Driving quality reporting within the systems that are used within this hospital
• Auditing the quality of documentation of care plans, risk assessments and clinical entries
• Promoting high quality incident reporting and actioning incident reports
• Induction and training of new and junior staff
• Management and clinical supervision of junior colleagues
• Liaison with other professionals to ensure a high quality of service is provided for our patients
• Staff rota management
• Providing strong clinical leadership and acting as a positive role model
• Facilitating team meetings and communicating the teams performance
• Creating a culture of learning and development
• Responsibilities of an on-call manager
• Deputising in the Ward Managers absence
• Any other duties as directed by the Ward Manager
You will need to possess:
• An interest in working with PICU patients and good insight into the principles relevant to PICU
• A keen interest and motivation to support development within our PICU team
• An ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment and patient population
• The ability to make and justify clinical decisions based on policy, experience and risk assessment
• Passion about change, innovation and service improvement
We want to invest in you and your future! Find out about our career pat