Job title: Dementia Specialist Nurse
Location: Dementia Forward Office base covering North Yorkshire
Actual Salary: £25,207
Hours: 35 hours per week - Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm
1. Main purpose of the job
To provide specialist nursing assessment, intervention, advice and support for families of people living with dementia.
To provide clinical advice, support, liaison, education and training to other personnel within Dementia Forward and to outside agencies e.g. care homes.
2. Position in the organisation
- Reports to the Area Manager
- Liaises at all levels internally and externally
3. Scope of the job
- To meet the multiple and often complex needs of families living with dementia through home visits, group sessions and clinics.
- Advise on, recommend and provide a range of effective interventions at the early stages of diagnosis and/or pre-diagnosis and throughout the client’s journey, paying particular attention to the role of the family carer.
- Assist carers to acquire skills and strategies in individual and group situations to understand and cope with challenges and difficulties they may meet, for example changing relationships and behaviours that challenge.
- Maintain client records and provide verbal and written feedback, appropriately and as required, to carers and supporters, persons with dementia, and referring agencies and professional colleagues.
- To act as advocate for families living with dementia when requested, supporting people to get the support they are entitled to and ensuring that it is appropriate and meets the needs of individuals.
- To ensure that care is delivered in accordance with Dementia Forward policies and other relevant local and national standards such as those recommended in the North Yorkshire Dementia Strategy, Carers Strategy and other relevant policy across the UK.
- To ensure all nursing practice is carried out in accordance with the agreed policies and procedures of Dementia Forward, and the NMC Code of Conduct.
- To provide supportive education to those working in dementia care and to work collaboratively with health / social care and the voluntary and independent sector.
- To take part in / lead appropriate practice based evaluation, audit and research, that Dementia Forward engages in e.g. work with local universities and measurement of outcomes for funders.
- To undertake any other duties in order to meet personal, team and organisational objectives following consultation with your manager.
- Able to travel independently within the service area; North Yorkshire
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated
- Able to show empathy for people with dementia and their carers
- Trustworthy and patient
- A good relationship builder
- Enjoys working as part of a team