Chief Nursing Officer
Chief Nursing Officer
The Department’s role is to provide strategic leadership for the health service and to ensure
that Government policies are translated into actions and implemented effectively. A multiannual
programme of health reform is set out in the Sláintecare Implementation Strategy.
Integrated, multi-disciplinary working is at the heart of the Sláintecare reform programme
and the Office of the Chief Nursing Officer is expected to significantly contribute to the
success of this approach through its leadership within the Department and the wider health
The Chief Nursing Officer has an important strategic leadership and influencing role that
includes the provision of professional policy direction and evidence-based expert advice for
the nursing and midwifery and general health policy agenda. The Chief Nursing Officer will
work collaboratively across government and the wider public service to advance the public
service reform programme and maintain a network of key contacts to support this
The ideal candidate will:
• Be registered or be entitled to registration in a division of the Register of Nurses of the
Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland;
• Have at least 10 years’ experience at senior nursing/midwifery level in healthcare delivery
and/or in professional education/regulation and/or in a relevant nursing management
role in an agency;
• Have significant senior leadership and experience in nursing and midwifery with a
demonstrated track record of achievement at a requisite scale;
• Have experience in contributing to the formulation of health policy at national or
• Have a strong track record of leadership and an ability to think strategically and contribute
to the strategic management of the office.
This is a Top Level Appointments Committee (TLAC) position.
For a confidential discussion, contact Paula Quinn on +353 1 8587600 or email
THE CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS IS 3PM THURSDAY, 5TH MARCH
For more information and how to apply, visit www.publicjobs.ie
We are committed to a policy of equal opportunity and encourage applications under all
nine grounds of the Employment Equality Act.
Cuirfear fáilte roimh chomhfhreagras i nGaeilge