The International School of London
School Nurse Job Description
Title: School Nurse
Reports to: Head of Pastoral
Contract: 2 Part-time (Job Share), Permanent, Term time only
Holiday: School Holidays
Hours: 09:00 – 17:00 hours with possibly some flexibility in start/finish time (with 30 minutes for lunch break)
Salary: £14,807 pro rata of £17,500 per annum
£29,615 pro rata of £35,000 per annum to be split equally according to pro rata hours.
The School Nurse is part of a wider pastoral and First Aid team whose aim is to promote the physical health and emotional wellbeing of the students.
This support, in conjunction with the wider pastoral team, is designed to meet a wide range of day to day needs. From meeting the physical needs of some pupils and the administration of first aid, to guiding pupils who might need psychological support, the role is a varied but vital one in our whole school community.
Role will include but will not be limited to the following duties:
- Managing the first aid training for staff, the medical budget and stock take
Medical and First Aid:
- Ensuring that students and staff are seen promptly and any further treatment is identified. Administering first aid and care referred by staff or self-referred until they are able to return to lessons or are passed into the care of a parent, guardian, doctor, hospital etc and accurately recording all visits.
- Advising students and staff on medical issues, adolescent physical health and emotional wellbeing.
- Being available to staff leading school trips to offer advice and information regarding individual students and medication.
- Ensuring First Aid kits around school are monitored and are restocked.
- Providing basic First Aid knowledge to staff at start of academic year and informing staff of procedures if faced with medical emergency such as the more serious medical conditions they may encounter.
- Ensure trip packs are made up with first aid kits, mobile phones and specific medical information for individual students.
- Ensure mobile phones are topped up and charged ready for trips
Day to Day and long-term efficiency of the Medical room:
- Maintenance of the First Aid room as an attractive, hygienic room, suitably equipped for serving the medical needs of the pupils and staff.
- To provide appropriate and time-specific health and wellbeing information to the students’ needs.
- Having an overview of the use of the first aid room and spotting patterns or trends with individual students or groups in conjunction with the Head Pastoral.
- Updating the Medical Handbook and keeping students’ medical supplies up to date (epipens, inhalers etc).
Communication and record keeping:
- To ensure effective information sharing with Office staff and Leadership.
- Making contact with parents as appropriate, ensuring that thorough records are kept of the conversations and any action taken.
- Organising the in house regular medical checks and School Health immunisations programmes.
- To be responsible for writing, reviewing and updating all medical related school policies.
- To be responsible for writing and reviewing medical healthcare plans for students with more complex health needs, and sharing these appropriately.
- Liaise with the relevant member of staff (Form Tutor, Section Head, and Head of Pastoral) on issues which arise through the care of students.
- Meet weekly with the Head Pastoral and Head of Administration.
- Completion of accident reports as required, and filing reports.
- Updating medical records on the school database and liaising with parents as necessary if further information is needed.
- Liaising with local public health teams regarding immunisations and any other medical matters which the school needs to act upon.
- Liaising with the local GP on medical matters and in order to keep protocols up to date.
- Ensuring that while medical and personal confidentiality is respected the school observes a “joined up” approach in the care of the students.
- Input new student medical information into isams
Health & Safety:
- Liaise with the school’s designated Health & Safety lead
- Enable regular consultation with people on health and safety issues
- Ensure the maximum level of security consistent with the ethos of the school, especially in regards to safeguarding and security of students information and medical information.
- To be a listening ear and one of the first “ports of call” on the pastoral team. Knowing when to pass on concerns to the appropriate person.
- To be involved in the health education of the students and, at times, to help deliver PSHE or form time to discuss medical or emotional issues.
- From time to time, you may be asked to help with general administrative duties to ensure the smooth running of the office
Skills and Training:
- To ensure nursing validation and relevant qualifications and training are up to date to meet NMC guidelines on mandatory training.
- To be willing to complete Level 3 Child Protection training and any other training relevant to the school setting.
- The ability to prioritise and manage situations under pressure.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to interact with people at all levels, combining confidence and assertiveness in a calm, courteous and professional manner.
- Competent IT skills, including use of word processing, spreadsheets and databases.
- Demonstrate good personal skills in a pleasant, friendly and competent manner and be able to welcome, help or reassure all visitors by telephone and personally to the school office.
- Tact and absolute discretion in dealing with all matters.
- Independence but with the ability to work as part of a wider team of support staff and pastoral staff.
- Loyalty, energy, articulacy and diplomacy.
- Flexibility in approach to people and to working arrangements.
- A professional, adaptable and proactive attitude.
- Able to respond calmly, quickly and willingly to urgent and unexpected requests.
- Confident and adaptable in liaising with the wider pastoral team and, where necessary, external agencies.
- Appreciation of and sympathy for the objectives of an independent school.
Apply for School Nurse
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly