Deputy Ward Manager (Rowen)
Knowing that you're making a difference to people's lives is rewarding in itself. But our many roles offer much more than that. As well as helping you grow and develop your talent, we want you to feel proud of where you work and what you do.
Set in the leafy suburb of Edgbaston, close to Birmingham City centre, Priory Hospital Woodbourne is conveniently located for access to the West Midlands motorway network and with very good local public transport links.
The hospital provides a diverse range of inpatient services, including acute and psychiatric intensive care for adults aged 18-25 years, Child and Adolescent Mental Health, specialist Eating Disorder (including day care) and private acute and addictions treatment programmes. With 78 beds across 7 wards, our multi-disciplinary teams deliver personalised treatment programmes to our patients and have established an excellent reputation for providing the highest standards of care.
Rowan Ward is an 8 bedded CAMHS High Dependency Unit for young people aged 12 - 18 years. We work collaboratively with NHS England to provide care for patients from across the UK. Our patients come to us directly from the community, as well as from other services (both stepping up and down). Our established team provide care for young people whose risks may be greater than those on an acute ward, and who often present complex and challenging behaviours. Our focus is on risk assessment, management and support of the young person at a time of crisis.
We work closely alongside young people, their families/carers and community teams to support recovery and we pride ourselves on always focusing on the "least restrictive principle". We are a team that focuses on reflecting and learning from our experiences and we actively encourage service user involvement and choice.
Rowan Ward aims to offer a positive experience for patients through positive role modelling and ensuring a focus on individual needs. Our values are around positive engagement and activity, person centred care and positively supporting young people through crisis.
We are looking for an experienced RMN/RNLD to take on the role as a highly motivated and committed Deputy Ward Manager on Rowan Ward. The successful candidate will take an active role in managing the unit under supervision of the Ward Manager.
They will have proven leadership skills, along with a strong drive to develop themselves and the dedicated Multi-Disciplinary Team. The successful candidate will directly participate in patient care, managing the ward and offer a high standard of care to the service users that we work with.
Applicants must have at least 2 years' experience at Staff Nurse level. Experience in acute services is ideal but not essential.
The role will require you to assist the Ward Manager with:
• Driving quality reporting within the systems that are used within this hospital
• Auditing the quality of documentation of care plans, risk assessments and clinical entries
• Promoting high quality incident reporting and actioning incident reports
• Induction and training of new and junior staff
• Management and clinical supervision of junior colleagues
• Liaison with other professionals to ensure a high quality of service is provided for our patients
• Staff rota management
• Providing strong clinical leadership and acting as a positive role model
• Facilitating team meetings and communicating the teams performance
• Creating a culture of learning and development
• Responsibilities of an on-call manager
• Deputising in the Ward Managers absence
• Any other duties as directed by the Ward Manager
You will need to possess:
• An interest in working with young people and good insight into the principles relevant to CAMHS services
• A keen interest and motivation to support development within our CAMHS team
• An ability to adapt to the individual needs of our diverse patient population
• The ability to make and justify clinical decisions based on policy, experience and risk assessment
• Passion about change, innovation and service improvementWe want to invest in you and your future! Find out about our career pathways: