Theatre Practitioner - Anaesthetics
Internationally renowned for clinical excellence, The Portland Hospital is the only independent hospital in the UK entirely dedicated to women and children. Our inpatient and outpatient specialties reflect this, providing clinical expertise in Paediatrics, Obstetrics and Women`s Health.
The hospital has been consistently growing over the past few years, almost doubling since 2008.
Our Paediatric wards hold 56 inpatient beds + 11 day case and are equipped with the latest technology to provide advanced medical and surgical care, including a Paediatric Intensive Care Unit which reflects the acuity and complex nature of the children who are admitted to our hospital. The Portland Hospital has a large number of international Paediatric patients, often funded by relevant embassies.
The Portland Hospital is the only fully private maternity hospital in the UK. The hospital provides for both consultant-led and midwifery-led deliveries, having an 18 bedded ward and 6 cot neonatal unit to facilitate this. Alongside this there is a 12 bedded Gynecology and Women’s Health in-patient ward. The Portland Hospital also has a large outpatient department for all areas of its clinical expertise, to facilitate continuous care or simpler procedures.
The culture at The Portland Hospital is to provide support, an inspiring environment and positive ways of working to ensure everyone has a better day. This is accomplished through our core set of ‘Positively Portland’ values that all employees will work to:
Greetings, Respect, Teamwork, Initiative, Responsibility and Acknowledgement
As the Theatre Practitioner, you will be accountable for providing high quality clinical assistance to the Anaesthetist during surgical procedures. You will ensure that professional and national standards are met in accordance to the Nursing & Midwifery Council (NMC), Health Professions Council (HPC) and HCA’s Code of Conduct.
You will also be responsible for assessing, developing, implementing and evaluating programmes of care for patients undergoing surgical procedures and will need to prepare the Anaesthetic room according to the individual needs of the patient and Anaesthetist.
Salary: Competitive (dependant on candidate experience)
Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure all equipment is checked prior to use and any faults reported to the Theatre Co-ordinator immediately.
- Help to control cross infection by observing departmental policy regarding dress, the maintenance of a clean working environment, decontamination and sterilisation procedures and asepsis.
- Prepare patients for clinical/ operative procedures, both in anaesthetics and surgery.
- Provide assistance in clinical/ operative procedures, both anaesthetics and surgery.
- Provide initial emergency care as required
- Participate fully as a team member, including working in all areas of the theatre suite, sharing knowledge and information and supporting colleagues, to promote a cohesive team and the achievement of team objectives.
- Adhere to the procedures for the use of supplies, ordering requirements for the Department as directed by line manager.
- Ensure the accurate collection of data in relation to theatre activity.
- To ensure confidentiality at all times, only releasing confidential information obtained during the course of employment to those acting in an official capacity in accordance with the provisions of the Data Protection Act and its amendments.
- Maintain the safe custody, handling of drugs in accordance with hospital policy.
- To undertake such duties as may be required from time to time as are consistent with the responsibilities of the grade and the needs of the service.
- Participate in the reporting of incidents and comply with any ensuing investigations.
- The post holder will be appraised on an annual basis and the process will include a review of the past year’s performance, setting of aims and objectives for the coming year and identification of education needs.
Skills & Experience
- RGN or registered OPD
- Anaesthetics course
- Evidence of on-going professional development
- Mentorship course or willingness to undertake the course
- Airway Management and care of the unconscious the patient
- Effective communication and ability to maintain accurate documentation
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of different emergency situations
About The Individual
As the successful candidate, you will be a strong team player with the ability to work flexibly and demonstrate tact and diplomacy. The ability to work under pressure is essential.