Paediatric Sister/Charge Nurse - PICU
HCA Healthcare UK – The World’s largest private healthcare group; providing award winning primary, acute and complex care.
HCA Healthcare UK Paediatric Intensive Care services provide acute, complex care to all patients and are internationally renowned for clinical excellence. In our units, you can expect to have the time to provide a quality holistic patient experience and will be supported to be the best that you can be with access to a preceptorship and mentorship programme and funding for the PICU qualification.
Our Paediatric Intensive Care services are covered across 2 of the most prestigious and respected private hospitals in London; The Portland Hospital for Women & Children and The Harley Street Children’s Hospital. Both hospitals care for level 2 and level 3 ventilated patients in Cardiac, Neuro-rehab and Oncology; and we also provide pioneering treatment that is not available elsewhere in the UK.
The Portland Hospital for Women & Children is the UK's largest private children's hospital with over 46 paediatric beds including our 10-bed intensive care unit; which is equipped with the latest technology to provide advanced respiratory and organ support.
Recently rated “Outstanding” by the CQC, The Harley Street Childrens Hospital specialises in complex, cancer, cardiac and neuroscience, care for children and the 9 bedded Paediatric Intensive Care Unit provides expertise and technology of the highest standard.
As the Sister/Charge Nurse of our Paediatric Intensive Care unit at The Portland Hospital for Women & Children , you will provide specialist nursing advice to support and facilitate high quality, individualised care to patients and families in collaboration with the multi-disciplinary team. You will develop and evaluate programmes of care and the setting of standards of care for the PICU service; whilst managing the team of nurses which will include workforce planning, performance management, coaching/mentoring and talent development.
This is a full time role working 37.5hrs per week – flexible shifts on internal rotation, including long days, nights and weekends.
The attractive and competitive salary for this role is between £45,754 - £50,330 plus you will receive a 9% shift enhancement; this will be dependent upon skills and experience.
We are also currently running a Golden Hello Scheme* to demonstrate our commitment to you and our patients. Upon joining HCA Healthcare UK as a PICU nurse you will receive (*subject to T&C’s):
- Nurses with 60 credit PICU qualification – £5k upon commencement of employment, £5k after 12 months service and £5k after 24 months service
Reward & recognition – We reward your commitment in delivering the highest standard of care with generous and competitive benefits such as our contribution pension scheme, private medical insurance, annual salary review, 247.5hrs holiday each year; with the option to buy and sell. We invest in your career development with clear career pathways and access to further education. We can also offer you support with relocation if you are living outside of London or the UK; subject to terms and conditions.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Plan, assess, implement and evaluate programmes of care for individual children and to supervise other staff in this activity
- Act as an advocate for the child and family, providing them with information and support and directing them to the relevant support services where appropriate
- Communicate complex and sensitive information effectively to patients, carers and other staff, overcoming any barriers to understanding and providing support during distressing or emotional events
- Ensure that discharge planning is commenced at the point of admission, liaising with the multidisciplinary team, other departments and community services as necessary.
- Develop and maintain clinical skills and knowledge necessary to provide holistic, evidence based nursing care
- Ensure clinical practice is evidence based or peer reviewed “best practice”
- Assist in the development and review of policies and standards for the safe use of equipment and any new equipment introduced to the department.
- Assist with ongoing education and training of families
- Mentoring and management of junior members of staff
- Taking continuing responsibility and accountability for the 24-hour management and organisation of the Ward/Department. This involves managing a wide range of complex and sometimes conflicting priorities
Skills & Experience
- NMC Child Registered Nurse
- Post grad nursing experience in a PICU setting
- Completion of a PICU Course that is equivalent to 60 credits
- Leadership or management training course
- Basic Life Support training
About The Individual
At HCA UK we recognise and value everyone as unique and individual; treat people with kindness and compassion; act with absolute honesty, integrity, and fairness and trust and treat one another as valued members of the HCA UK family. As someone looking to join our family, you will demonstrate these key values.
You will also actively participate as a member of a team, working together to achieve tasks, goals, and objectives; demonstrate a lead by example attitude to inspire our colleagues and patients; and deliver information in a clear, concise, and compelling manner to effectively engage others and achieve desired results.
If you wish to find out more about this opportunity, please apply for this role and a member of the team will be in contact shortly.