The Portland Hospital is the only private hospital in the UK dedicated to the healthcare of women and children. We're the UK's largest private children's hospital with over 46 paediatric beds including a 10-bed intensive care unit, a neonatal intensive care unit, and a day case unit. Caring for over 40,000 children a year, we provide treatment for everything from general paediatric conditions to complex craniofacial reconstruction. We have over 175 paediatric consultants available to treat children from new-born up to the age of 18.
As the only fully private maternity hospital in the UK, delivering over 1,600 babies a year, we place great importance on providing safe and high quality care for expectant mothers. Both consultant-led and midwife-led maternity care is available, and our aim is to provide you with all the support you need during pregnancy, childbirth and beyond. Women’s health issues are treated by a team of 40 consultants, supported by nurses, physiotherapists and counsellors, with an emphasis on privacy and dignity.
As a Nursey Nurse you will be responsible for the provision of high quality newborn care within the maternity setting, be able to work alongside the midwifery team to provide newborn care to all babies in the postnatal ward and provide support and guidance to new parents on the care of their newborn, able to communicate effectively at all levels within the multi-disciplinary team and to provide evidence based care and develop skills in the speciality.
Hours: This is a full time job, 37.5 hours per week. (Long-days, nights, weekends on rotation)
Salary: £24,240 – 27,139 (Depending on experience) + 9% shift enhancements
Benefits: 25 days annual leave, structured career development, funded courses, private pension, private medical care cover, and much more.
Duties & Responsibilities
- To demonstrate good clinical practice under the supervision of a midwife, at all times in the provision newborn care.
- To demonstrate competency by using theoretical knowledge to underpin newborn care delivered.
- Will participate in extended skills such as passing nasogastric tubes, serum bilirubin screening, blood spot screening, blood glucose analysis, serum bilirubin analysis and newborn hearing screening.
- Communicate in a polite and respectful manner at all times
- Respect cultural diversity of colleagues and the patient group and respond appropriately and respectfully to individual needs and beliefs at all times.
- Report untoward incidents to the registered midwife and record using the Datix system.
Skills & Experience
- NNEB, Btec Diploma in Nursery Nursing or equivalent demonstrable knowledge and
- Basic Adult and Newborn Life Support awareness
- Understanding of Safeguarding issues
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Competent with computers and able to use clinical systems
- Ability to work within a team and independently
About The Individual
The successful candidate, caring but assertive, ability to use one’s own initiative, flexible, able to work under pressure, punctual with good time management, reliable, to have an awareness and understanding of cross cultural needs