Sister/Charge Nurse - PICU
Sister Charge Nurse Paediatric ICU – The Portland Hospital
Salary in the region of £39174 to £45419 per annum + 9% enhancements
HCA Healthcare UK – World’s largest private acute and complex care hospital group and winners of 'The Best Private Healthcare provider 2016' and 'Best International Cancer Services' provider 2016
Internationally renowned for clinical excellence, The Portland Hospital is the only independent hospital in the UK entirely dedicated to women and children. Our inpatient and outpatient specialties reflect this, providing clinical expertise in Paediatrics, Obstetrics and Women`s Health.
The hospital has been consistently growing over the past few years, almost doubling since 2008.
Our Paediatric wards hold 56 inpatient beds + 11 day case and are equipped with the latest technology to provide advanced medical and surgical care, including a Paediatric Intensive Care Unit which reflects the acuity and complex nature of the children who are admitted to our hospital. The Portland Hospital has a large number of international Paediatric patients, often funded by relevant embassies.
The culture at The Portland Hospital is to provide support, an inspiring environment and positive ways of working to ensure everyone has a better day. This is accomplished through our core set of ‘Positively Portland’ values that all employees will work to:
Greetings, Respect, Teamwork, Initiative, Responsibility and Acknowledgement
As the Sister Charge Nurse Paediatric ICU, you will provide the highest possible care to patients, while being accountable and responsible for the nursing management of a designated area. This will include the supervision, mentoring and directing junior staff and deputising for Sisters in their absence. You will be expected to be a role model for the team thus enhancing the patient experience, improving patient outcomes and contributing to delivering high standards of care and compassion at all times.
This is a full time (37.5 hours per week) permanent post.
The projected salary range is: £39174 to £45419 per annum + 9% enhancements, pension scheme, 33 days annual leave and more attractive benefits
Hours: Full time, flexible shifts on internal rotation (long days, nights, weekends)
Benefits: We'll look after you with our contribution pension scheme, the use of all HCA facilities for acute medical conditions, annual salary review, 25 days holiday each year and access to a fantastic flexible benefits scheme. We can also offer you a relocation packages if you are living outside of London or the UK. You can expect to be working in an environment that promotes the development of your skills and knowledge.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Team leadership and staff motivation
- Able to demonstrate good presentation skills
- Able to communicate complex and sensitive information, gain cooperation where required and overcome barriers to understanding
- Able to organise own time and make straightforward plans for task, some of which might be ongoing
- Possess dexterity and coordination needed for the manipulation of IV injections, syringe drivers, volumetric pumps, infusions endotracheal suctioning, insertion of catheters and other similar procedures
- Able to participate in moderate physical effort (moving patients/ equipment with the assistance of manual handling aids) frequently during a shift
- Able to concentrate on work for frequent periods despite interruptions and demands from others
- Able to deal with distressed relatives, care for the terminally ill and deal with emotional consequences of critical/ terminal illness for patients/ relatives
- Computer literate
- Able to communicate tactfully and clearly with all members of the MDT
- Ability to deal with difficult behaviour/ team dynamics
- Able to resolve conflict
Skills & Experience
- RSCN - Sick Children’s Nurse with NMC pin
- Paediatric Intensive Care qualification
- Teaching and mentorship qualification
- Shift lead experience within PICU
- Demonstrate commitment to seamless and consistent high quality care and services
- Demonstrate commitment to personal and professional training and development
- Track record of building and maintaining effective working relationships with all disciplines
- Interest in research and audit
- PICU experience
About The Individual
- Good interpersonal skills
- A flexible approach to work
- Willing to support others
- Demonstrates ability to use initiative
- Ability to work internal rotation to night duty
- Effective time management
- Evidence of fulfilling PREP
- Committed to providing excellent Family Centred Care
- Motivated, enthusiastic and committed to the department specialty.