Paediatric Site Practitioner
Paediatric Site Practitioner – The Portland Hospital
Salary in the region of £39174 to £45419per annum + 9% enhancements + Benefits
HCA Healthcare UK – World’s largest private acute and complex care hospital group and winners of 'The Best Private Healthcare provider 2016' and 'Best International Cancer Services' provider 2016
Internationally renowned for clinical excellence, The Portland Hospital is the only independent hospital in London and the UK entirely dedicated to women and children. Our inpatient and outpatient specialties reflect this providing clinical expertise in Paediatrics, Obstetrics and Women`s Health.
The Paediatric department has been consistently growing over the past few years, almost doubling since 2008. We have 45 inpatient beds + 11 day case and are equipped with the latest technology to provide advanced medical and surgical care, including a Paediatric Intensive Care Unit which reflects the acuity of the children who are admitted to our hospital. The ratios for care on the wards are 4:1 Patients:Nurses during the day and 3:1 overnight unless patients require 1:1 care.
Reporting to The Modern Matron, the Paediatric Site Practitioner will provide leadership and clinical support to paediatric clinical areas (including in patient, day care and out patients) on a shift by shift basis. Out of hours they will work as part of the paediatric hospital at night clinical team to ensure a timely and appropriate response to patients’ needs, in liaison with the hospital’s duty manager and RMO’s. The post holder will ensure HCA Healthcare UK's policies and protocols are adhered to, identifying shortfalls and intervening as necessary. The role delivers expert advice and will practice expanded clinical skills within the paediatric department working collaboratively with the multi professional team and liaising as appropriate with relevant consultants.
Salary: £39,174 - £45,419 +9% shift enhancement
Hours: Full time (37.50 hours per week)
Benefits: We'll look after you with our contribution pension scheme, the use of all HCA facilities for acute medical conditions, annual salary review and access to a fantastic flexible benefits scheme. We can assist your with accommodation if you are living outside of London or the UK. You can expect to be working in an environment that promotes the development of your skills and knowledge.
Duties & Responsibilities
- To lead on paediatric site management within agreed policies, protocols and procedures, liaising with the hospital duty manager and senior nursing team where necessary
- Identify gaps in policy and develop new policy to support practice.
- To co-ordinate the provision of a safe environment for patients, carers and staff in accordance with Health and Safety policy.
- To take appropriate action relating to complaints, accidents and untoward incidents, involving patients, visitors and staff.
- Provide a clinically credible paediatric nursing service, demonstrating expert knowledge and clinical skills, as the practitioner responsible for the assessment of paediatric patients’ needs and utilisation of appropriate resources to meet them, in association with the on-call paediatric RMO as part of the paediatric hospital at night team.
- Liaise with the hospital duty manager and senior nurses to utilise all beds efficiently. Identify any issues affecting bed utilisation such as staffing or infection concerns to the Chief Nursing Officer.
- To provide a senior nursing response in the event of a major emergency
- Work with the named and designated nurse/doctor/midwife for safeguarding children within the hospital, ensuring that safeguarding issues are managed effectively and appropriately by the relevant agencies. The post holder will demonstrate expertise and confidence in the Safeguarding agenda and undertake annual training to level three and above.
- Facilitate optimal child centred pathways of care for children across all clinical areas, including outpatients, day case, wards, PICU, radiology, theatres etc.
- To provide a calm, supportive and problem solving approach to situations.
- To lead on the achievement of length of stay reduction and efficiency within the paediatric wards/outpatients service from a nursing perspective, and working collaboratively with the multi professional team to remove obstructions to discharge.
- Promote and display the “Positively Portland“ values: greetings, respect, teamwork, initiative, responsibility and acknowledgment”
- To monitor nursing staffing levels and skill mix out of hours and liaise with ward sisters to ensure safe and efficient staffing levels at all times. T
- To inform ward sisters of any staffing issues highlighted out of hours eg, sickness, non attendance at work, performance issues.
- Liaise with the Bank Office out of hours regarding booking of shifts as appropriate and changes to be made to MAPS rotas/ workforce planning tool in relation to bank/ substantive staff.
Skills & Experience
- RSCN / RN child
- Teaching course or Teaching Experience
- Valid APLS or EPLS
- Experience of delivering advanced practice/patient assessment
- Level 3 safeguarding training undertaken within the last 12 months
- Computer skills
- Ability to lead a team
- Organisation and management skills.
- Negotiating skills
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
About The Individual
- Innovative and creative thinker
- Self-motivation and good time management
- Positive change agent
- Energy and enthusiasm
- Team player