Theatre Practitioner - Multi Disciplined
BMI Healthcare has a reputation based on 30 years of clinical excellence and commitment to our patients and staff. Our mission is to deliver exceptional experiences for the patients treated in our 58 hospitals in the UK – and to do that, we need exceptional people.
BMI Healthcare’s Chelsfield Park Hospital in Orpington has a vacancy for a Theatre Practitioner to join their team of staff within the Theatres Department covering Anaestetics and Recovery.
BMI Chelsfield Park, has a compact theatre department consisting of 3 operating theatres covering a wide range of surgical procedures: laparoscopic general and gynae, orthopaedics, plastics, vascular, ENT, ophthalmology, and also supports the Assisted Conception Unit, with egg collections.
The theatre team consist of a blend of qualified and multi-skilled Registered Nurses and ODP's and some provide a valuable 1st assistant role to the surgeon.
This post is for 37.5 hours per week. Flexibility required to cover shifts. Some Weekend cover. On-call commitment after induction period.
Applicants should have the following:
- Registered Practitioner with NMC or HPC registration
- UK Recognised anaesthetic qualification and relevant experience.
- Recovery skills underpinned by up to date knowledge.
- Good experience in the care of obese patients in the perioperative environment.
- Crucial skills in managing a difficult airway and ability to operate emergency equipment, eg. Fibreoptic intubating equipment amongst others.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the anatomy of the upper airway, as well as predictors of difficult airway intubation and management thereof.
- Up-to-date knowledge of CPR and rapid sequence intubation.
- Ability to support and lead a team.
- Experience of applying clinical reasoning skills across a range and varied patient case mix and competent across a range of skills.
- Demonstrate In-depth specialist knowledge regarding care of the bariatric patient in perioperative environment and potential complications.
- Demonstrate awareness of complications and side-effects associated with bariatric surgery.
- ENB 998 and/or mentorship course and/or D32/33/A1
- Management qualification
Duties of this role include:
- Assemble, check and prepare the appropriate equipment, and consumables for a wide range of operative procedures
- The ability to coordinate the use of the supplies and additional equipment during an operating list ensuring the equipment is used appropriately and safely
- Conduct mandatory patient checks including informed consent, patients identity and operative site against the supporting documentation, prior to the start of the procedure
- Complete mandatory surgical checks prior to the start of the procedure, during and pre wound closure
- Monitor the patient’s condition throughout the procedure, taking appropriate action to manage any arising complications through contingency planning
- Communicate appropriately with others involved in the care of the patient
- Monitor, order, receive and check stock items including equipment and drugs.
- Ensure any accidents or complaints are fully documented and that the appropriate senior manager is informed
Please see attached role profile for further detailed information on the responsibilities and accountabilities of this vacancy.
Being the UK’s largest private healthcare provider, BMI Healthcare is able to offer staff excellent training support and progression potential, making this an excellent place to work.