Operating Department Practitioner (ODP) - Theatre - Nottingham
Position- Operating Department Practitioner (ODP) - Theatre - Nottingham
Ref - DBODPNOTTC
Salary - Up to £29K depending on experience
Hours - Full time
My client is currently looking for skilled Operating Department Practitioner (ODP) to support the senior clinical staff and make sure high standards of effective care are delivered to all patients within the Theatre suite, whilst maintaining communication within the team.
You must have experience in Theatre/Recovery/ Ward areas and be prepared to take on greater responsibility within the theatre suite.
As an ODP you will be responsible for preparing operating theatres and anaesthetic rooms for surgery in relation to instrumentation, equipment and supplies required. You'll also be performing scrub and circulating duties within two specialist areas and, in the case of anaesthetics, in all theatres.
* Prepare an operating theatre/anaesthetic room for surgery in relation to instrumentation, equipment and supplies required for specific operative procedures, ensuring waste is kept to a minimum. In the case of anaesthetics ensure all necessary and emergency equipment is available and in working order.
* Act as preceptor for student ODP's, learners, junior nurses and HCA's, where appropriate and participate in teaching within your sphere of knowledge and skill
* Run a theatre list without supervision and supervise and mentor junior staff.
* Perform scrub, circulating and anaesthetic duties
* Organise own time and be responsible for appropriate delegation of staff and duties.
* Maintain effective channels of communication at all times.
* Report all accidents and untoward incidents to senior staff and complete electronic reporting system.
* Act as specialist/link person having undergone the relevant training sessions in your area of expertise.
* Deliver patient care in accordance with recognised standards of research based clinical practise.
* By precept and example, to ensure that the rights, dignity and confidentiality of the patient are protected at all times.
* Undertake any other duties that may reasonably be required.
* Understand and apply a holistic patient centred care approach, identifying and taking into account specialist clinical needs whilst the patient is in the Day Case unit.
* Work within a flexible working roster, designed to achieve the most effective use of staff for the patient's requirements.
* Participate in the on call rota in order to provide a telephone help line.
Professional Knowledge, Training and Experience
* Identify personal objectives, reflect on progress and set a personal development plan annually in order to develop within post.
* Liaise with Lead nurse in agreeing how identified training and development needs are met.
* Ensure that one's own practice is kept updated using an acceptable model of clinical supervision.
* Take every opportunity to expand one's practice in line with the principles contained within the NMC/AODP guidelines and protocols.
* Ensure that all elements contained within the NMC/AODP Code of Professional Conduct are adhered to, and ensure that you maintain registration requirements.
* Develop clinical knowledge and professional skills through relevant training.
* Undertake Advanced Life Support (ALS) training and certification and participate in the rota for ALS cover for the Treatment Centre.
* Relevant experience i.e. evidence of recent practice in Theatre areas
* Demonstrable record of Continuing Professional Development.
Skills/ Abilities & Knowledge
* Ability to teach/coach peers, junior staff & trainees
* Good communication & team building skills
* Excellent standard of patient/client care
* Able to cope with change/adaptability/flexibility and a proactive approach
* Demonstrates organisational /leadership abilities
* Relate well to all staff.
* Motivator of staff and colleagues.
* Diligence/Enthusiasm & positivism
Key Word - ODP, Surgical, Operating Department Practitioner, HCPC, Theatre/Recovery/ Wards
For more information please contact Darene Blackwood at Pulse Jobs on 0161 245 4453 or 07514 669 415 alternatively please forward your CV