This job is no longer available
BMI Healthcare has a reputation based on 30 years of clinical excellence and commitment to our patients and staff. Our mission is to deliver exceptional experiences for the patients treated in our 70 hospitals in the UK – and to do that, we need exceptional people.
The Thornbury Hospital based in Sheffield has an opportunity for a Registered Pre-Assessment Nurse.
An opportunity for a Registered Pre-Assessment Nurse is required to provide an effective pre-operative assessment of patients undergoing a variety of elective surgical procedures. Provision of accurate pre-operative, intra-operative and postoperative information and making necessary discharge preparations prior to the patient’s hospital admission is required.
Please note: this position is for 37.5 hours per week.
- · Assessment of pre-operative patients taking a clear concise history from clients by assessing their health and wellbeing and documenting appropriately.
- · Identify the need for, and carry out, any relevant pre-operative investigations in reference to best practice guidance and consultant’s requests.
- · To ensure the patient’s understanding of their proposed operation by providing accurate and concise pre and post-operative advice and information, both verbal and written.
- · To provide patients with written and verbal advice regarding health promotion strategies as identified in Government initiatives.
- · To appraise postal assessments, instigate changes and further in-depth assessments or investigations for patients having procedures as identified by the consultant and within agreed guidelines.
- · To provide a telephone pre-assessment service for patients unable to access the normal service due to time or distance and to provide advice regarding their pre-assessment or admission.
- · To screen self-paying patients for clinical suitability for the Option payment scheme, in collaboration with The Reservations Department and Consultant.
- · Undertake patient investigations such as venepuncture, ECG recording, urinaysis, blood glucose, blood saturation levels, and baseline observations and all on relevant paperwork.
- · Undertake preliminary nursing assessments such as DVT risk assessment, Waterlow score
- · Provide support to patients and carers in reference to the practicalities of assessing home care support and convalescence on discharge.
- · Maintain accurate records at all times, ensuring appropriate reporting mechanisms are used.
- · Assist in the development of clinic procedures/ protocols to ensure all patients are safely prepared for theatre.
- · Maintain good communications with other departments and multidisciplinary teams to ensure a collaborative approach to care.
- · Participate in hospital quality systems, including audit, and assist in updating nursing practice according to results.
- · To maintain a professional attitude at all times, in accordance with the NMC Code of Conduct and to maintain professional registration.
- · To be conversant with, and comply with, local, corporate and Care Quality Commission policy requirements.
- · Comply with all aspects of Health and Safety at Work Act. COSSH and manual handling legislation, ensuring a safe environment for patients and staff.
- · Report, investigate and document incidents, accidents or complaints in accordance with corporate policy and legislative requirements.
- · Use of the Ultragender clinic booking system as required.
- Key Performance Indicators:
- · Feedback from patients, families, consultants and anaesthetists.
- · No inappropriate patients put through Options packages.
- · No incidents relating to extended length of stay, returns to theatre and complications.
Knowledge / Skills / Qualifications
- · Professional experience in a surgical environment. - Essential
- · Excellent skills and knowledge. - Essential
- · Computer literate. - Essential
- · Excellent communication skills – written and verbal. - Essential
- · Ability to manage own caseload and work with minimal supervision. - Essential
- · Familiarity with NICE guidance on clinical pre-assessment. – Essential
- · Pre-assessment experience. - Desirable
- · Recent ward based clinical experience. - Desirable
With a focus on excellent staff training, support and progression, BMI Healthcare is an excellent company to be a part of to launch/further your career in private healthcare.