This job is no longer available
Being the UK's largest private healthcare provider, BMI Healthcare is able to offer staff excellent training support and progression potential, making this an excellent place to work.
- To carry out all necessary duties as required of the Fertility Nurse Specialist role, co-ordinating and implementing fertility treatment protocols
- Providing patient care, counselling, treatment and administrative duties under the supervision of the 'Person Responsible' as detailed on the Treatment Centre Licence issued under the provisions of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 1990
- To act in such a way as to promote the Fertility Treatment Centre, Shirley Oaks Hospital and BMI healthcare
- To work in a collaborative and co-operative manner
- To promote equal opportunities for staff and patients. To ensure that no person receives less favourable treatment than another on the ground of sex, marital status, religion, creed, nationality or ethnicity.
- To ensure the rights, confidentiality and privacy of the patient are protected at all times
- Ensure the patients safety and well being at all times
- To communicate and liase with medical, embryology and nursing staff within Shirley Oaks Hospital and The Bridge Centre and the IVI clinics in Spain to provide good care and effective treatment for patients.
- Interviewing, counselling and providing training sessions for women and their partners on all relevant aspects in their fertility treatment.
- To provide specialist fertility advice and support for, and be a resource to, patients and their relatives, other members of the team, and other health care professionals.
- Provide patients with clear and concise information prior to the commencement of their treatment plan
- Undertaking ultrasound scanning and clinic sessions on a regular basis. These should be planned in liaison with the relevant personnel.
- Practice phlebotomy and give injections and instruct patients how to administer drug regimes as prescribed by a doctor.
- Undertake trial embryo transfers, the screening of patients with swabs and perform cervical and intra-uterine inseminations.
- Organise and liase with ordering, storage and transfer of donor sperm, adhering to the HFEA's Code of Practice.
- Undertake the preparation of sperm for insemination.
- To ensure that correct control, storage and administration of drugs and medicines is undertaken in accordance with the Hospital and FTC policies
- To practice evidence based nursing, applying accepted and validated research
- Take an active role in unit policy setting, monitoring and maintaining standards of care. Identifying areas where patient care can be improved and identifying strategies for achieving such improvements.
- Ensuring that equipment is properly used.
- To participate in the weekend rota and on-call service
- Deputise for the Fertility Treatment Centre manager as required
- Liaising with other hospitals, departments, external agencies and visitors as necessary.
- Ensure that all records are kept in a clear accurate and legible manner and that all entries are signed and dated
- Assist FTC manager ensuring all administration paperwork and collection of data is completed and kept as stipulated by the HFEA.
- Taking part in and assist in the developing of audit mechanisms within the department.
- Assist in the monitoring of stocks and the ordering of supplies.
- Ensure that patients are made aware of billing arrangements
- Ensure that patient bills are sent in a timely fashion
- To the FTC Manager for ongoing advice and guidance relating to day-to-day issues, clinical matters
- To the Director of Nursing - for ongoing guidance
Key Performance Indicators:
- Satisfactory feedback to FTC manager
- Ability to meet objectives set at appraisal
- Satisfactory audit and competency assessments
- Positive feedback from patients, Executive Director, Director of Nursing, hospital staff, Consultant's, verbal comments and patient satisfaction survey
- 100% completion of mandatory training
Knowledge / Skills /