Theatre Specialist Practitioner –Orthopaedics
Job Title / Theatre Specialist Practitioner –Orthopaedics
Reports To Theatre Co-ordinator – Orthopaedics
To provide exemplary planned care for patients requiring perioperative intervention supporting the management and organisation of care provision in the operating theatre, taking on the specialist role in Orthopaedics. To assist the perioperative Theatre Co-ordinators to deliver effective patient care by providing appropriate clinical support to effectively maximise theatre utilisation.
1. Develop practice in the assessment of health and well being needs.
2. Develop practice in addressing individual’s health and well being needs.
3. Provide and receive complex, sensitive or contentious information.
4. Develop knowledge and practice in an area of work.
5. Develops a working environment and culture that actively improves health, safety and security.
6. Develop and improve services.
7. Improve quality through the provision of safe and competent assistance with surgical procedures
and a high standard of theatre practice is achieved
8. Support and enable equality, diversity and rights.
9. Apply technology for measurement, monitoring and treatment
10. Acknowledge the risk of Healthcare Associated Infections (HCAI) and understand own
responsibility as agreed with line manager in the prevention and control of HCAI.
E = Essential D = Desirable
Qualifications and Training
E RN or ODP qualification
E Post registration qualification in clinical specialism
D Working towards a clinical degree
E Working as a perioperative practitioner in and across multi disciplinary teams
E Applying the knowledge and skills gained through a post registration qualification in a clinical
E Experience of applying clinical reasoning skills to a range of complex and varied patient case
E Challenging consultants to influence evidence based practice
E Share evidence based practices with colleagues to enhance service and standards
D Evidence of applying continuous improvement to service
Knowledge and Technical Ability
E Competence across a range of perioperative skills supported by professional and clinical
knowledge acquired through state registration and further education and development.
E Possess the mandatory training requirements for role including infection control and health
and safety competencies.
E Possess Equipment and Medical Devices Competences
E Continuing professional development.
E Trained on MS Office and other relevant packages
E Demonstrate principles of accountable practice
E Teaching skills
E Keeps abreast of developments in own specialism
E Professional assessment skills
E English language to IELTS 7.0
D Business Development skills e.g. creation of business cases
D Auditing skills across clinical standards and departments
D Root cause analysis
E Caring for others
E Team working
E Flexible and adaptable
E Initiative and ownership
E Pride and enthusiasm
E NMC or HPC State Registration
E Willing to participate in flexible working pattern
E Empathy for vulnerable and sick patients
E Empathy for principles and importance of EO and dignity at work
E Participate in on call duties as required
E Lives within 20 minutes travelling time of hospital
For a full Job description please call Carly Dack on 07880 642 046.