This job is no longer available
Senior Registered Nurse Cardiology required for the London Independent Hospital in Stepney Green.
- Caring for patients on Ward 113 Cardiology
- To ensure that standards of customer care are consistently maintained at all times in accordance with agreed operational policies and procedures as a skilled member of the department team.
- To promote and safeguard the well-being and interests of all customers, employees and visitors.
- To assist Senior Staff in their management of the department and to provide effective leadership and management in their absence.
- 3 years Nursing experience preferably gained in Cardiology
- ECG course or Cardiac Advance course 1 or 2*
(Development opportunity within the department to take advance course 2 if not held)*
- Shifts are on a 12 hour basis.
- Days 8am to 8.30pm and nights 8pm to 8.30am
- The role is a combination for both days and nights:
- 8 days and 8 nights each or 14-15 shifts per month.
- There is a requirement to work 2 weekends per month.
- Overtime is available at a variable rate.
- To take charge of the department as and when required.
- Provide support and guidance for junior members of staff.
- Ensure that department operational policies are maintained and complied with; to advise senior staff of any amendments considered desirable.
- Participate in a programme of Quality Assurance as directed by Senior Staff.
- Ensure that all Health & Safety and COSHH policies and procedures are read, understood and complied with as far as reasonably practicable.
- Act as a resource for all staff as necessary and ensure full understanding of Health & Safety and COSHH requirements.
- Exercise economy in the use of drugs, dressings and equipment, providing a safe and cost effective service.
- To conduct yourself professionally within the standard and framework provided by the NMC "Code of Professional Conduct".
- To work within the principles and framework provided by the NMC "Scope of Professional Practice".
- To actively participate in clinical teaching in the department under the direction of Senior Sister and Ward Manager.
- To work with ward manager/senior sister to ensure the department environment is conducive to satisfactory and continuing education and training programmes.
- To participate in the induction programme for all newly appointed staff as required.
- Keep up to date with clinical and professional developments in nursing and to attend relevant study sessions in accordance with NMC PREP guidelines.
- Ensure that appropriate systems for the recording and distribution of information relating to customer charges and billing are maintained.
- Assist the ward manager/senior sister in monitoring stock levels of medications and consumables.
- Report customer and staff accidents, incidents and complaints.
- Work as a team member thus promoting the concept of team nursing.
- Close liaison with co-operation with other departments and hospitals.
- To act as advocate to all customers, ensuring a customer orientated approach to the service delivery.
- To facilitate daily communication of daily activity.
- Liaise with consultants with regard patient management.
- Sensitive handling of customers, providing reassurance as required.
- To attend hospital mandatory training sessions.
- Support the cardiac team and lead in the daily care of cardiac patients on the ward, update policies and procedures if needed
- Weekends/nights(out of hours)-Bleep 21 holder and charge of unit(ward)
Key Performance Indicators:
- Regular audit of consultant satisfaction.
- Satisfactory audit of department.
- Satisfactory feedback on performance from Manager - ongoing appraisal.
- Ability to meet objectives of last appraisal.
- Satisfactory patient questionnaire feedback
Knowledge / Skills / Qualifications:
- Up to date knowledge in ambulatory patient care
- Aware of NMC code of accountability
- Department management
- Excellent communication skills