This job is no longer available
Director of Nursing
The Beardwood Hospital - Blackburn - Lancashire
Competitive salary plus benefits
At BMI Healthcare, our reputation for the highest-quality care for our patients determines everything about the way we work. So whether you’re a nurse, an accountant or a chef, you’ll play a defining role. We’re the UK’s largest private healthcare company, and host over 1 million outpatient visits a year. If you’d like to be a part of something exceptional, we now have an opportunity for a Director of Nursing to join us in Blackburn.
BMI The Beardwood Hospital has 18 single rooms offering the privacy and comfort of en-suite facilities, satellite TV and telephone. A seven bed day care unit and a high dependency unit, combined with the latest in technology and support services, enable our consultants to undertake a wide range of procedures from routine investigations to complex surgery.
· To provide effective leadership and direction for all nursing staff and staff in other areas of clinical responsibility in the Beardwood Hospital and to ensure sustained development in these services
· To manage the provision of 24 hour nursing services in the Beardwood Hospital
· To co-ordinate and maintain the delivery of excellent nursing clinical quality and care standards
· To ensure optimum nursing standards and maximise return from resources employed.
· Act as a key change agent in nursing and clinical services.
· Achievement of agreed financial and performance targets.
· Provision of a unified approach to patient care and to lead the hospital quality and risk programme.
· Provide strong leadership, direction and improvement to the hospital as a member of the Senior Management Team.
· To deputise for the Executive Director when required
· Key Outputs:
· Ensure effective day to day operations of the nursing service
· Development and achievement of the nursing plan and associated objectives for the short, medium and longer-term performance of the service to support the achievement of the hospital’s business plan.
· Implement the appropriate management structure to ensure a span of control on professional, performance and development control for the nursing service.
· Development and application of an effective recruitment and retention strategy.
· Monitor quality and effectiveness of standards provided, taking corrective actions when deficiencies arise.
· Provide support and advice to senior nurses on the management of their areas.
· Implement new ideas and systems and promote a culture of continuous quality improvement.
· Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements (e.g. Healthcare Commission, Health and Safety).
· Ensure ongoing compliance with organizational audit requirements.
· Ensure best practice is attained as outlined by corporate benchmarking groups.
· Prepare departmental budgets and achieve the required financial and performance objectives.
· Establish relationships with Consultant users for clinical, service and commercial development.
· Participate in the marketing of the hospital.
· Set high personal and professional standards in line with BMI’s code of conduct.
· Participate in on-call hospital rota.
· Member of Senior Management Team, (Chair) Clinical Governance Committee and Medical Advisory Committee.
Knowledge / Skills / Qualifications / Personal Attributes:
· Highly energetic, proactive and driven to succeed
· Strong organisational and planning skills, including risk management
· Results driven, possessing a proven track record of delivering against targets
· Strong interpersonal skills:
· Able to communicate clearly with a range of people at differing levels across the hospital, deploying a range of techniques to do this effectively
· Able to energise, shape and direct a team to maximise motivation
· Able to support and develop staff to deliver business goals
· Good financial awareness, including business planning and budgeting
· Must be a Registered General Nurse Practitioner
· Must possess an ENB 998* Relevant ENB qualification
· Knowledge of NMC Codes and guidelines and their implications for practice
· Knowledge of the Care Standards Act and Care and Quality Commission Requirements
· Knowledge of Quality Assurance tools
· Knowledge of Human Resource tools and techniques, including interviewing, appraising and counselling tools
· General clinical experience in an acute setting
· Significant experience of managerial responsibility for a department (in an acute setting)
· HDU experience (preferred)
· OPD experience (preferred)
· Infection Control experience (preferred)
· Being the UK’s largest private healthcare provider, BMI Healthcare is able to offer staff excellent training support and progression potential, making this an excellent place to work.
Closing date 07/11/2012