This job is no longer available
Job Specification : Software QA Analyst - Clinical
Reporting to : Product Assurance Manager
The role will be assigned to work packages by the Product Assurance Manager. For periods of time and/or specific projects the role will report to the Work Package Manager, for example a Subject Matter Expert (SME) for a particular module or modules or the Automated Testing Manager for the population, maintenance or execution of automated testing processes.
Part of a team dedicated to ensuring the quality of software meets functional requirements and standards. Specifically assigned to execution of test plans, performing tests, running test scripts, contributing to maintenance of test materials, completing reports on test outcomes and building and maintaining automated testing capability.
The testing activities are likely to focus on specific modules and products at any point in time. Over time expertise in multiple modules and products will be developed to support flexibility within the team and provide broader product knowledge.
The primary products initially will be Medway and Medway GUI but may extend to other products as determined by the line manager.
This role will focus on clinical functionality but as an integrated solution will require the incumbent to gain experience and knowledge of the PAS and other functions. As a clinically oriented role the application of clinical knowledge is required, both to assure the functionality and assist with the identification and resolution of potential clinical safety issues. Professional clinical support is provided by Clinical Product Managers, Clinically trained analyst designers, Clinical SME’s and the Clinical Safety Officers.
• Execution of test scripts, recording outcome of tests, escalation of defects and identified opportunities for product improvement. As product knowledge and experience is gained this may extend to execution of workflow and scenario testing under the direction of a Product SME;
• Hands on testing of all functional modules;
• Liaising with other software testers and implementation staff to facilitate the testing of McKesson (and on occasion third party) software;
• Liaising with members of the development team in order to provide QA feedback and over specific test outcomes e.g. for exploration and resolution of defects identified;
• Creation and maintenance of suitable test environments for all software testing to take place. This includes the set-up of the software being tested and populating or configuring test data. This may extend to testing of interaction with devices e.g. printers, bar coding, dictation devices, medical devices. Testing of interfaces and integration with other modules, products or interface test harnesses;
• Assist with the preparation and execution of test plans and test scripts. By agreement with the responsible SME, amend or update test materials to ensure lessons learned are reflected in future testing activities;
• Perform static testing and impact assessment of Design and Change Request documentation;
• Review software specification/requirements, interpret acceptance criteria and derive tests accordingly;
• Creation and maintenance of test scripts and other documentation in keeping with existing and new practices within the QA team;
• Assist with the population and maintenance of automated testing under the direction of the Automated Testing Manager as assigned;
• Assist in the development and instigation of protocols and procedures to improve the quality of our software;
• Assist the Support team in investigating and resolving problems with software;
• Other Duties – as defined by the Product Quality Assurance Manager from time to time.
• Clinical experience or extensive experience of testing clinical solutions.
• Experience of working in health care or with health care systems or software testing experience is essential. Roles are likely to align with clinical functions and / or clinical solutions. In respect of this, experience of working in a clinical environment or a clinical qualification combined with systems user experience is desirable and may off-set limited exposure to formal testing experience provided competence with the use of information technology is demonstrable.
• Experience of using Microsoft technologies, MS Office applications, email and word processing. Knowledge and experience of using MS Excel is desirable and an advantage.
• Experience of using Medway is desirable but not essential.
• Experience of hands on testing of Patient Administration or clinical systems is desirable.
• Experience diagnosing, reporting, tracking and resolving quality issues.
• Experience of controlling and delivering software to NHS secondary care end users is desirable
• Thorough knowledge of PAS modules and functionality (e.g. Inpatients, Outpatients, Waiting Lists, GP systems or clinical applications etc.) desirable.
Skills and Abilities
• Competence with the use of Microsoft Office, particularly MS Word or equivalent applications;
• Sound understanding of software testing techniques and QA processes;
• Sound interpersonal, communication and presentation skills both orally and in writing;
• Problem investigation and solving capability;
• Methodical and thorough approach to problem solving;
• Ability to work in a structured environment e.g. with defined test scripts and an aptitude to think more widely about the context of such work and broader interdependencies;
• Ability to organise, co-ordinate and prioritise day to day work load;
• Knowledge of software development life cycle;
• Motivated by quality achievement and proactive;
• Ability to work within project constraints to ensure that milestone and delivery dates are met;
• ISEB Foundation in Software Testing desirable but not essential.
Warrington, Cheshire, however on occasion there may be a requirement to travel to a customer site for testing purposes. This may on occasion entail an overnight stay depending on duration and location of the assignment.